Friday, February 27, 2009

Journal 2

Topic 2: Trust

1) Trust is when you can rely on another to do something for you. You know you can confide in this other being for anything and that they will always be there for you. Even when your eyes are closed, and you can only rely on your trust. I would classify trust into 2 parts: Self-trust and Trust in Others.

2) "You see," he says to the girl, "you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too- even when you're in the dark. Even when you're falling."

You have to learn to trust a person before they can trust you. You have to know that they will catch you when you fall; that they are honest, benevolent, and good. If you can't learn to trust them, how can they trust you? When a person fails to be trustworthy, people start to dislike them and not be able to tell them anything or ask them for help. Trust can come in forms. Such as in school when a student asks a classmate for help or when a child lies or tells the truth to their parents. It's all about making the right decisions and being the independent person who can help others, and isn't afraid to ask for help themselves.

Mitch trusts himself to help Morrie and come every Tuesday to be with him.

Self-trust is just as important as having trust in others. It's knowing you have the power to do things like not eating the tub of ice cream in the freezer or going to practice. Once again, it's doing the right thing. It may be an internal conflict at times, but trusting yourself is important. Trusting you know what is true and what is just. You have to be willing to do (or not to do) something.

3) I agree with what the examples are saying because trust is important and it's important to do the right thing. I think trust as something between friends and family. Knowing that they can or will do something right. Once again, the book made me realize things I wouldn't even think about otherwise.

4) If you had a partner, and had to fall into the arms of your partner, and then catch them, would you be able to absolutely trust them to catch you as well as be able to catch him/her?

Thinking about it right now, I don't think I could let go and definitely think they would catch me. I would have the feeling that they wouldn't be able to or something like that (even though the thought of not being caught and not being able to catch a person is ridiculous). With my friends and family, I think I could definitely trust them, but with acquaintances and strangers, probably not. I just don't KNOW them well enough, I suppose. Trust is what makes any relationship grow and I believe everyone should be able to trust anyone at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment