Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Journal 3

Topic 3: Family

1) I think of family as a group of children, teens, and adults who join together and bond with one another. They love one another and do things for each other; they fight, but, in the end, everyone loves each other and there is peace. Some philosophies could include the following: Families support one another and are always there for each other.They care and love each other (love is important). Families share a bond that no other experience will give. They sacrifice things for each other. Family members can rely on one another (most of the time) for anything. Families always have a fun and a great time with one another, because that's what families do.

2) "If you don't have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don't have much at all."

I think this means that, without everything that you get from a family, there will be a large emptiness inside you and life won't feel complete. To at least have a partner to share your life with, is important. Children teach the parents to learn to love and bond, as well responsibility. Morrie says he thinks that enduring this disease would be a whole lot harder if he had to do it alone, and without his loving wife and two sons. To have people who will stay and never leave; knowing someone has an eye on you, watching you the whole time. He had old colleges and students, patients and friends, but they had to leave eventually. His family would stay there, and they do. The only reason Morrie's son's weren't there with him for his last months alive is because he believes they should go on with their lives. Later on, Mitch wonders that if he were to die- without a family and children- would the emptiness be unbearable? I think it would be.

"Love each other or perish."

This probably means that, without love, this world would be filled with hatred, anger, war, and death. Loving each other means you have to act like everyone in the world around you is one of your family. It means supporting them in times of need and sacrificing things for them. It means bonding and loving and caring about them. It means to be concerned when they're in danger or dying. Otherwise, an endless war will rage. I think this is the reason why there are so many wars in the world, as well as simple conflicts among people. It's because many have never learned to truly love one another.

3) I agree with what the examples are saying: I agree that we should love each other and that, without family, we really wouldn't have anything. Sure, we might have minuscule possessions, but not the comfort of another living being actually there to talk to and to touch. It's important that we interact with everyone the same way we do with family because otherwise, everyone withdraws from the world. They make their own little bubble; trying to avoid other people and problems. As always, this book makes me reassess life and all the lessons in it. Some things I've thought of, or agree with, but have never really put into action.

4) Every day, how many people do you converse with and how many people to you help when they need it? (AKA do you treat them like family?)

For me, I usually say "good morning" to familiar faces in the hall, but I only actually TALK to my friends or people I know. Never strangers, or people I've seen only here and there. I help a person in need if I can, and if I'm needed. Sometimes I think people need to learn a lesson from needing something. ex) If a classmate forgets a pencil, I may not give them mine, because they need to learn to be prepared in the future; to learn from their mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment